Tweet this blog!

Monday, October 11, 2010

Erie Percussion - Be Still My (Purple)heart




From what I can glean from my web research, a person named Witt in Ohio was making drums from single ply shells, and multi-ply shells designed to emulate single ply shells. More recently he joined forces with someone to help out on the business side, and now we have Erie Percussion. I picked up this 7x14 Erie Percussion snare recently but I have other "deep" snares and this one isn't getting played enough. Shell is 1 ply purpleheart interior, 5 ply maple, 1 ply purpleheart on exterior. The 7 plies are horizontal grain and are sequenced matched veneers with a total shell thickness of 1/4 inch designed to emulate the sound of solid shells. Excellent construction and sound. $325.00. UPDATE November 27, 2010 - traded this snare away for a nice solid shell piccolo snare made by Luka Percussion out of Quebec.

No comments: