Tweet this blog!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Yamaha SD-493 Brass Snare






Yamaha made a line of brass snare drums from the late 1980's to the early 1990's that included this 3.5x14. It appears to be pretty closely related to their David Garibaldi snare (same dimensions, the Garibaldi has a nice blue finish). I like the throwoff/ butt plate system that allows use of snares that extend beyond the drum head. Super high quality. Apparently this drum was widely used by some big names (Weckl, Coliauta, Garibaldi, and others). When I bought the drum the original extended snare wires had been replaced with a standard length set, so I installed a set of extended length Pearl wires that work very well.












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been using that piccolo for the last 21 years, now I´m an endorsee of a great drum company, but I manage to put it on stage whenever I have an small gig. I really love the high pitch/cracking/rimshot that has...Weckl, Colaiuta and Garibaldi were not wrong...