Tweet this blog!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

1980's Tama Superstar Birch Snares






I started looking for these snares after I purchased my 1980's Tama Superstar drum set - birch shells with a mahogany finish. Still looking for a nice Mahogany finish, but I have managed to find a couple of nice maple finish snares (they also were produced in a cherry wine finish like the kits). These snares have a roller system for the extended snare wires, diecast hoops, and box style throwoffs. I have a 6.5X14 and an 8X14. Apparently these snares were also produced in a 5x14 but I haven't come across one of those yet.









The 6.5x14 I own has had the lugs replaced (original single lugs replaced with double lugs by a previous owner, and unfortunately extra holes drilled, after one of the original lugs cracked), so it's not a true collector's item, but it still sounds great of course. The 8x14 is in almost pristine condition. Here are some pictures of the 8X14. (Update - I sold the 6.5 x 14 in late 2011, still looking for a 6.5 x 14 in top condition).

No comments: