Tweet this blog!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Go ahead, build your own Gretsch ...

Finished this beauty up today. It's built up on an unused 5.5 x 14 Gretsch shell I purchased for a great price on EBay (there's a seller "himonwry" who seems to have an inexhaustible supply of Gretsch shells and components). I think this shell dates from the 80's but that's purely based on the badge and just a guess on my part. The shell came with a gorgeous red sparkle wrap that is as bright as the day it went on, as well as Gretsch's "secret" silver paint on the interior. The edges and snare beds hadn't been cut so I asked Tom Wells of Wells Custom Drums if he could do so - he gave it 45 degree edges with roundover, for the "vintage" sound, and drilled the shell for me. Finished with lugs from Drum Foundry and Dunnett's new R4 strainer.

UPDATE - sold October 10, 2011




No comments: