Tweet this blog!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ash Stave Shell Snare - 5 x 14

Finished this one up today. This was a 5/8 " thick ash stave shell I picked up in a trade with some other shells and equipment. It had been untouched (apart from a urethane finish on the outside) as it was being used in a free floating snare. I took off the urethane and gave it a few coats of tung oil, inside and out. Installed aluminum single point lugs from Champagne Drums and a Pearl style Gladstone throwoff (from drumfactorydirect.com - they're an excellent source of parts), and "S" hoops (I quite like these hoops - they have some heft and firmness to them, almost like a die cast rim, compared to triple flange hoops, but are available for a really reasonable price, only a little more than the cost of triple flanges). I was a little concerned when I started this build as the shell diameter was slightly undersized, but the drum turned out great.

Update - sold and off to a good home July 23, 2011. 

I also reassembled a Pearl Export snare today that I picked up from someone's garage recently. Bought a new throwoff, heads, and snare wire for it, and it's as good as new ...

I have a number of other projects on the go that I hope to be finishing over the next month, as time (and funds) permits. I'll have a couple of Keller shell snares that I've wrapped with a gorgeous turquoise satin flame, and another Keller with a mint ripple wrap. Also I may start a solid shell maple from Vaughncraft soon - I have a nice peacock abalone wrap set aside for that.







No comments: