Tweet this blog!

Saturday, August 6, 2011

8 x 14 Fiberglass - Snow in Summer





I finished building this more than a week ago but am just getting to posting it now. I picked up this big (somewhat over 8" deep, 14 " diameter) fiberglass shell, pristine, in a trade (unfortunately I don't know the original source of the shell, but it is quite well made). The shell is thin, like my carbon fibre snare, maybe 1/16" thick or just slightly more. Decided that to really give it justice I'd have to go with all black hardware, so went to what is becoming one of my favourite suppliers, Drum Factory Direct (my other favourites are Precision Drum and Champagne Drum) for some Yamaha taillight style lugs,  and Pearl type strainer / butt plate combo; black chrome rims from Drum Foundry. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Fiberglass proved pretty straightforward to work with. I haven't had much chance to "test drive" it, but from the little playing I've done on it it's quite resonant and responsive. I spent a little time trying to come up with a suitable name for it (Arctic Thunder?) but it's hard not to come up with something that isn't cheesy ... ($350.00)

UPDATE - too bad, so sad. No one was interested in this baby, so the hardware has been stripped off for other projects (see the mahogany-spalted ash hybrid). Will likely flog the strainer and buttplate on e-Bay as I wasn't that fond of them.

No comments: